Hot Sauce of Oblivion – SkyRamen
The fifth and final winner of our Hot Sauce of Oblivion competition was Amber Boughen with her very special SkyRamen. Being an Asian dish, I was worried as to how I would go. I am whiter than shaved coconut when it comes to cooking and often struggle to replicate the complexities of the hundreds and thousands of wonderful Asian dishes that make mouths water everywhere.
Thankfully, Amber sent me clear instructions so even Whitey McWhitey here couldn’t stuff it up and it came out a treat. It even got my boys eating veggies, which is a feat in of itself. So make sure you watch the video below and see how even one such as I can crank out cracking ramen that is guaranteed to satisfy.
There are still a couple of bottles of The Hot Sauce of Oblivion to giveaway. Don’t forget to tell us in the form below where Mehrunes Dagon (aka big demon dude) is hiding in the video and you could win!
- 300ml salt-reduced stock (can be boosted with instant MISO soup)
- pinch of pepper
- splash of Chinese Rice Wine or Cooking Sake
- Handful sliced Chinese Cabbage (Wombok)
- 1/2 Carrot, sliced
- 1 packet of Ramen noodles
- 1 soft-boiled egg (cooled in an icebath)
- 1/2 tsp of The Hot Sauce of Oblivion
- 1 sliced green onion
- sprinkle of fried shallots
- Put stock, rice wine and pepper (and Miso if so desired) into a pot on low heat, let it heat slowly without boiling.
- Fill a second pot with water (and Miso once again if you like). Bring to boil and cook carrot for 5 mins, Cabbage for 2 mins
- Remove the veg with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl
- In the same water prepare your ramen noodles as per pack instructions
- Drain the noodles
- Place noodles in bowl, place veg on top and cover with the hot broth.
- put the half teaspoon of Hot Sauce of Oblivion into the broth and give it a good stir
- Peel the egg and cut it in half. Place halves on top of the ramen and garnish with green onion and fried shallots.