NBA 2K22 Feature-Set Revealed
Recently we announced the cover athletes coming to NBA 2K22, now 2K have pulled the curtain back a bit on the feature-set present in the upcoming release. Courtesy of a media blast provided by 2K we now know the following:
Please note that there are some differences between PS4/XB1/Switch versions of the game compared to the current-gen PS5/XBS versions, these are indicated below for your convenience
Key on-court gameplay improvements are being implemented to give the player not only more control over how they score the ball, but also how they counter those moves on the defensive end.
- OFFENSE – Breaking down defenders off the dribble with new signature moves and combos, precision jump shooting, dunking in traffic, and pulling off alley-oops have all become more skill-based. Basketball IQ and stick skills play an even bigger role in separating top offensive players.
- DEFENSE – A completely revamped shot contest and blocking system highlight an arsenal of new defensive tools at your disposal. Playing suffocating defence on the perimeter and in the paint has never felt more rewarding, giving elite defenders the ability to truly change the outcome of the game.
Across fan-favourite experiences, Seasons allow players to extend and enhance their hoop ambitions long after the game’s launch. Free for all 2K22 gamers in MyTEAM, MyCAREER, and The W [PlayStation®5/Xbox Series X|S] modes, it brings more content, more rewards, and more ways to play. And this year, Seasons will introduce an all-new way to level up your MyPLAYER and earn exciting MyPLAYER prizes in the City [PS5™/XBS] and in the Neighbourhood [PlayStation®4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch/PC].
MyTEAM for NBA 2K22 evolves as the ultimate experience for building and competing with your own dream team on Day 1, but that’s not all. MyTEAM will continue to expand as each new Season drops.
- MyTEAM: DRAFT – Making its long-requested return in NBA 2K22, MyTEAM: Draft has you selecting a complete lineup from a constantly-updated pool of players. Compete with your new lineup in online multiplayer games to earn rewards for your MyTEAM Collection.
- EXPERIENCE THE EVOLUTION OF MyTEAM – Throughout the year in NBA 2K22, new challenges, rewards, and events make every Season fresh and unique in MyTEAM. On top of the many new features debuting in MyTEAM on Day 1, even more additions are coming throughout the year, including an original new game mode this holiday season.
- CROSS-GEN PROGRESS & COLLECTION – While NBA 2K22 will offer two unique basketball experiences across the two console generations, MyTEAM progress and collections will be transferable between consoles that are within the same platform family [ie. PlayStationⓇ4 to PlayStationⓇ5 and Xbox One to Xbox Series X|S – and vice versa]. VC wallet, MyTEAM Point, and MyTEAM Token balances will be transferable within the same console families as well.
NEW CITY [PS5/XBS] & NEW NEIGHBORHOOD [PS4/XB1/NSW/PC]
The biggest online basketball community gets two very different makeovers in NBA 2K22. PS5 and Xbox Series X|S 2K22 players will step up and hoop in an all-new version of the City; PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC 2K22 players will compete while setting sail for the high seas. Take your best MyPLAYER builds and express yourself through both your game and your style in each unique online experience.
- A LIVING, BREATHING CITY [PS5/XBS] – Step into an all-new City teeming with life, activity, and interactivity. NPCs (non-playable characters) populate the fresh City layout, while MyPLAYERs from all over the world compete in the highest level of playground basketball. An all-new Quest system for 2K22 engages MyPLAYERs with creative content while offering new ways to level up and earn rewards in this reenvisioning of the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S basketball communities.
- MATCHMAKING OPTIONS IN THE CITY [PS5/XBS] – The City opens up new and quicker alternatives to get into online hoops. MyPLAYERs can enter select matchmaking buildings to be placed into immediate competition. Matchmaking sessions will be available for a number of game types and will contribute to all MyPLAYER progress.
- ALL ABOARD THE 2K CRUISE [PS4/XB1/NSW/PC] – On the PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC platforms, NBA 2K gamers will show out and compete in an all-new, dedicated basketball community – a Neighbourhood built on the spacious decks of a sailing cruise ship. Explore and hoop in nautical luxury, and when the cruise docks in exotic locales throughout the Season, make your way to the Excursion counter to participate in shoreside Events – all taking place completely off the ship!
In NBA 2K22 for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, MyCAREER and the all-new City become one in a groundbreaking narrative experience for NBA 2K. Embark on your personal journey to the pros – a sprawling MyCAREER life – by exploring the City, seeing new and familiar faces, and hooping your way to exciting new heights. Players on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC will play out the new 2K22 narrative in a dedicated, traditional MyCAREER experience.
- HIDDEN TALENTS [PS5/XBS] – In NBA 2K22, dreams and ambitions in MyCAREER stretch beyond the hardwood floors; players can now pursue side ventures to build a profile in lucrative and trendy spaces. Brush up against the fashion world, where the art of promotion will drive your success as a mogul. Or get involved in the hip-hop business, where your music talent opens up an intriguing lane in the industry.
- NO PLACE LIKE HOME [PS5/XBS] – Moving up in the professional world means expanding your home lifestyle. Central to your MyCAREER narrative and progress, your personal hub represents your place in the journey to the NBA. As your profile and ambitions level up, so, too, will your home base in the City.
In NBA 2K22, team management is about more than just the players on the court; it’s about the personnel that scout them, train them, and coach them. MyNBA/MyWNBA players can build the winningest franchise by making sure the staffing is just as strong as the hooping.
It was also announced that there will be a number of showings for the game through both August and September that will further outline details pertaining to many of the above-mentioned changes. NBA 2K22 is coming to PS4, PS5, XB1, XBS, Switch and PC on September 10th.